Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My sister found this recipe while surfing the web. She knows my DS loves smoked salmon, and creamy pasta dishes, so why not have them both!
- 12 ounces penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole shallot (thinly sliced)
- 4 roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (chopped,or 1-2 tsp dried dill weed)
- 1⁄3 cup vodka
- 6 ounces smoked salmon (cut into strips)
- white pepper
- 1 sprig fresh dill (optional)
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until soft but not brown (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream, nutmeg, chopped dill and vodka. Increase heat to high and bring to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Add pasta to sauce and mix lightly using 2 spoons, until pasta is well coated.
- Remove from heat.
- Add salmon and mix lightly.
- Season to taste with white pepper and garnish with dill springs.
I'm sorry to say this didn't turn out well for me, and I have no idea why. I used all the best ingredients including a top grade smoked salmon and vine-ripened tomatoes, and I followed the recipe to the letter. While the finished dish looked very appetising and the flavour wasn't bad, the sauce gave the pasta a slimy texture. I'm assuming it was the sauce, either that or I got a bad batch of pasta. I used Barilla bavette and didn't overcook it - the pasta still had plenty of bite - so that wasn't the problem. I might try making it again sometime, and if I do will post a rating.