Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This Penne a la Vodka recipe is better than any version I have ever had in a restaurant. I made it for my son's first birthday party (to keep the grown-ups happy) and it was a big hit. It has a spicy little kick from the red pepper flakes, but that is easily adjusted to suit different tastes. From "The Kosher Palette" cookbook.
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain and reserve in a large serving bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, then add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Pour in vodka and stir, then allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, then simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream and salt and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add parmesan cheese and mix in thoroughly, then season with pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat well. Serve immediately.