Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Pink, creamy, a little spicy and best of all easy! My vegetarian daughter loves this. Add some Italian sausage and the meat eaters love it even more.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup marinara sauce, your favorite from a jar
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- kosher salt
- white pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil for the pasta. When boiling, add a good amount of salt to the water. Add the penne to the pot. Stir to separate. Add a drizzle of olive or vegetable oil to keep the pasta from sticking together. Cook the pasta as recommended on the package for al Dente. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and melt the butter with the oil.
- Add the chopped onions to the oil and butter. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, crushing the red pepper flakes in your fingers as you add them. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the marinara sauce and mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vodka to the sauce. Continue to simmer for about 3 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thick.
- Stir the cream into the sauce.
- Add a pinch of white pepper to taste.
- When heated through, add the grated cheese.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Stir in the freshly chopped parsley.
- Place in a large pasta serving bowl and serve with additional grated cheese.