Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis Show: Everyday Italian
- 1 lb pancetta, diced into 1 inch cubes
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat a large saute pan, until hot.
- Add pancetta and saute until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Season with black pepper and remove pan from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in Parmesan, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish.
- In a large pot, boil 6 quarts of salted boiling water.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta in a colander.
- Do not rinse with water; you want to retain the pasta's natural starches so that the sauce will stick.
- While the pasta is still hot, return it back to the pot.
- Add the browned pancetta and mix well.
- Add the cream mixture and coat the pasta completely.
- It's important to work quickly while the pasta is still warm so that the cream mixture will cook, but not curdle.
- Add remaining Parmesan and chopped parsley.
Love this! The recipe is so simple but turns out so rich! I used regular bacon instead of pancetta and it was yummy.
it was good....to much egg though. i used four eggs and it was still pretty saucey.
I made this with my girlfriend the other night, however we added 1 1/2lbs of shrimp, 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, and 1lb fettuccine. Turned out great! Very colorful!