Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A quick and easy meatless meal. Nice and garlicy! Serve with a crisp salad and fresh crusty bread!
- 16 ounces penne, cooked
- 1 bunch broccoli, cleaned trimmed cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- Put broccoli in a saucepan with the olive oil, garlic, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil,lower heat, cover tightly, and let steam until the broccoli is bright green and very crunchy about five minutes.
- Add pasta to broccoli.
- Mix in cheese.
- Top with red pepper flakes, scallions and pine nuts.
Perfect! I did use a whole wheat penne but otherwise made as posted. Love the crunch of the pine nuts. We had this along with banana bread for an outstanding and filling lunch. Thank you Rita for a wonderful vegetarian entree. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag.
So quick and simple to make, yet it makes a wonderful meal! It's perfect for a summer meal, since there's no heavy sauce. I used Chicken broth for the water, so I didn't need to add any salt. The only garnish I did not have was the pine nuts, but it was fantastic even without them. This makes a great meatless meal or side dish. Thanx for sharing!
I added chicken to this dish that I had sauteed in a little olive oil and sprinkled with montreal chicken spice. I didn't have pine nuts so I substituted slivered almonds. I also was missing scallions but it was still good without. No ground red pepper either, so I added a little more of the montreal chicken spice. At the end it seemed a little dry so I added a little chicken broth. It ended up being very yummy!