Like Grandma used to make. From Dr. Weil. This is one of the fastest and easiest main dishes to make. It's full of flavor and quick - it also has the cancer-fighting protection of broccoli.
- Cook the pasta in rapidly boiling water until al dente.
- Trim the ends of the broccoli stems and cut off the flowers. Peel the outer fibrous layer off the main stalks and cut the stalks into bite-sized pieces.
- Separate the flower of the broccoli into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the broccoli in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Put it in a saucepan with the olive oil, garlic, water and salt. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, and let steam until the broccoli is bright green and very crunchy-tender - no more than 5 minutes. Remove the lid and boil off most of the remaining liquid.
- Toss the broccoli with cooked pasta. Top with red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Simple but pretty tasty. DD1 (5 years old) liked it a lot. I used organic quinoa pasta, fresh organic broccoli, organic olive oil, organic garlic cloves, pressed, & sea salt. Made for Aussie Swap.