1 hr 10 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
Just wonderful! Your tummy, family & guests will thank you! This recipe was Inspired by: Bon Appetit and Neil Pagano - Oct. 1998. UPDATE 5/26/08: I have made this with and w/o the chicken. I have also used both red and white wine depending on what I had on hand. Either way, it's a winner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed, substitute sweet
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, substitute 1 t dried
- 8 -12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1Boil large pot of water for pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions. This can be done later if you are making ahead of choose to simmer longer than suggested.
- 2Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium, add chicken. Sauté until no longer pink. I let the edges get a bit browned w/o over cooking. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain and transfer to a bowl.
- 3Add wine to skillet and boil reducing to 2T, scrapping up the browned bits.
- 4Pour wine over chicken in the bowl, set aside.
- 5Add oil to hot skillet, add sausage, onions and bell pepper to the skillet. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions & peppers are tender.
- 6Breaking up sausage into bite size pieces while cooking. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- 7Mix in tomatoes with juices, tomato sauce, chicken stock, garlic and rosemary. Simmer until reduced to saucy consistency, about 10 minutes. (as suggested by Bon Appetit). I allow it to simmer longer.
- 8Add pasta to the finished chicken & sausage mixture and toss.
- 9Add 1/2 - 1 cup cheese, toss to combine.
- 10Top with parsley right before serving.
- 11Serve with additional cheese at table.
- 12NOTE: 4/17/11 It's been a while since I've made this. I re-ordered the ingredient list because I found it confusing as originally written.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penna Pasta With Italian Sausage & Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1007.6
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 118.8 mg
- Sodium 2536.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 51.5 g