Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Just wonderful! Your tummy, family & guests will thank you! This recipe was Inspired by: Bon Appetit and Neil Pagano - Oct. 1998. UPDATE 5/26/08: I have made this with and w/o the chicken. I have also used both red and white wine depending on what I had on hand. Either way, it's a winner.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed, substitute sweet
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, substitute 1 t dried
- 8 -12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Boil large pot of water for pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions. This can be done later if you are making ahead of choose to simmer longer than suggested.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium, add chicken. Sauté until no longer pink. I let the edges get a bit browned w/o over cooking. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Add wine to skillet and boil reducing to 2T, scrapping up the browned bits.
- Pour wine over chicken in the bowl, set aside.
- Add oil to hot skillet, add sausage, onions and bell pepper to the skillet. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions & peppers are tender.
- Breaking up sausage into bite size pieces while cooking. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Mix in tomatoes with juices, tomato sauce, chicken stock, garlic and rosemary. Simmer until reduced to saucy consistency, about 10 minutes. (as suggested by Bon Appetit). I allow it to simmer longer.
- Add pasta to the finished chicken & sausage mixture and toss.
- Add 1/2 - 1 cup cheese, toss to combine.
- Top with parsley right before serving.
- Serve with additional cheese at table.
- NOTE: 4/17/11 It's been a while since I've made this. I re-ordered the ingredient list because I found it confusing as originally written.
This recipe was OK, we will use it again with some modifications to suit our tastes. Please see my explaination of my ratings on my home page: http://www.recipezaar.com/member/408454 This is a keeper and will be made again. Thanks for posting! Edited 5/24/08: When we made this recipe the chicken was not listed as an ingredient... my review is based on that recipe before the chicken was added to the recipe. I will try this again with the chefs addition at a latter time.
This was very good. I left out the onions and peppers due to personal preference, used garlic powder and dried rosemary and parsley and added some red pepper flakes for a little more kick. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious!