Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A colorful first course with a dipping sauce made from its own cooking broth.
Make and share this Penn Cove Mussels Steamed in Orange Juice With Basil recipe from Food.com.
- Grate the orange rind and reserve.
- Cut 1 thin slice from the middle of the orange and cut it into little triangles; reserve.
- Juice the remaining orange.
- In a large skillet that has a lid, mix the minced basil, oil, pepper, mussels, water, shallots, orange juice and half the grated rind. Cover the pan and bring to a boil and steam for a few minutes until the mussels open.
- Remove the mussels with a slotted spoon and toss the ones that didn't open.
- Place them on plates lined with fresh basil leaves. Garnish with orange triangles. Sprinkle the remaining orange rind on top.
- Pour the cooking broth into a small dishes, to dip mussels into.
These were so very good. I think I would add a pinch of salt next time, but my honey thought they were perfect as is. I did not read the instructions carefully and put all the rind in at the beginning - no harm, as they cook so quickly. Also, I julienned the basil, as I like how that looks. The orange flavor is subtle and delicious. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.