Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A favorite on the menu at Arnies, Edmonds WA.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mussels, about 30
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- tomatoes, seeded, diced
- fresh parsley, chopped
- In a bowl stir together butter, 1 tablespoon garlic, shallot, 1 tablespoon parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Seed tomatoes and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- Cut lemon into 4 wedges.
- Scrub mussels and remove beards.
- In a 4-quart heavy saucepan melt herb butter over moderate heat.
- Add lemon wedges and remaining garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add mussels and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add wine, cream, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer, covered, until mussels are opened, about 5 minutes.
- Discard any unopened mussels.
- Stir in tomato and remaining parsley.
- Divide mixture between 2 soup plates and garnish with tomato and parsley.
- Serve mussels immediately.
- Serves 2 as a first course.