Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is another one of the recipes in my mother-in-law's file. I don't know who Penelope is, but her cake is delicious! Because we really like lemon, I added the glaze to the cake, but it is delicious without it, too.
- Mix sugar and eggs together and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add milk and beat.
- Add butter and extracts; blend well.
- Sift dry ingredients and add sugar/butter mixture.
- Mix well and add poppyseeds.
- Grease and flour one loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Turn out onto cooling rack.
- Mix lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Spread on cake while it is still warm.
This loaf is very good. I like the fact that it has all those poppy seeds. I have to make my food budget stretch so I made some substitutions. In stead of the almond I used more lemon juice and instead of the melted butter(too costly) I used cooking oil. I also used the glaze which is very good. This is a nice dish to go with coffee. Thanks for posting.... Lori