Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This soup is a spicy, fresh tasting soup entirely different from any dried pea soup. If you like Thai food, you will love this. If you are vegan, just leave out the fish sauce or use a vegan version of nam pla sauce. This recipe came from Whole Foods Market originally. It was a big soup swap hit and is easy to make and low calorie and low carb. Do NOT try to replace fresh herbs with dried. The fresh taste relies on fresh ingredients.
- 6 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 4 teaspoons thai green curry paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, minced (2 inch piece)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk (natural kind without sugar added)
- 1 lb frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
- 1 hot Thai red chili pepper, stem removed
- In a soup pot, place cold water, rice, Thai green curry paste, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, lime juice and zest, and Thai hot pepper.
- Bring liquid to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and peas; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, tamari, cilantro, mint and fish sauce, if using.
- Puree soup in food processor or with a handheld immersion blender until smooth and creamy and green. Peas and rice will dissolve, soup will be lovely light fresh green color.