Recipe by strangelittlebeast
The recipe for these crumbly cookies made with toasted masa harina and coffee comes from the Huasteca region of Mexico. They aren't very sweet so you may want to top them with additional powdered sugar. The dough should be durable enough to work with at room temperature,but if your kitchen is very hot,you may chill it for 20 minutes to firm up.Yield is only approximate.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow masa harina
- 1⁄2 cup butter, brought to room tmperature
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee (more or less,use as needed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet over medium.Add the masa harina and cook,stirring constantly until it begins to brown slightly and smell nutty.It should only be a very light golden brown-be careful not to burn it.This may take 3-5 minutes.When it is ready remove to a bowl so the heat of the pan does not continue cooking the flour .
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter until light and creamy.Add the sugar,cinnamon,baking powder,and salt.Beat thoroughly.
- Add the toasted masa harina in 1/2 cup increments,alternately with the egg and mix well.The dough should be fairly crumbly.Start adding the coffee in 1 tablespoon increments to form a dough that is moist enough to hold together,but not too wet to mold easily with your hands.4 tablespoons is about right,but add it slowly and have some extra on hand in case you need more.(The amount you need may vary, depending,for example on how dry your flour is and how large the egg is,etc.).
- Form cookies by pinching off a little dough and rolling it with your hands into a rope about 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long.Connect the dough together at both ends to form a ring.Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.Repeat with remaining dough,placing the cookies about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned( check the bottom of the cookies) and dry to the touch.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool,sprinkling with additional powdered sugar if desired.These taste best if allwed to cool completely.