Chef #928625's Note:
The recipe for these crumbly cookies made with toasted masa harina and coffee comes from the Huasteca region of Mexico. They aren't very sweet so you may want to top them with additional powdered sugar. The dough should be durable enough to work with at room temperature,but if your kitchen is very hot,you may chill it for 20 minutes to firm up.Yield is only approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups yellow masa harina
- 1/2 cup butter, brought to room tmperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee (more or less,use as needed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1Heat a large skillet over medium.Add the masa harina and cook,stirring constantly until it begins to brown slightly and smell nutty.It should only be a very light golden brown-be careful not to burn it.This may take 3-5 minutes.When it is ready remove to a bowl so the heat of the pan does not continue cooking the flour .
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3Beat butter until light and creamy.Add the sugar,cinnamon,baking powder,and salt.Beat thoroughly.
- 4Add the toasted masa harina in 1/2 cup increments,alternately with the egg and mix well.The dough should be fairly crumbly.Start adding the coffee in 1 tablespoon increments to form a dough that is moist enough to hold together,but not too wet to mold easily with your hands.4 tablespoons is about right,but add it slowly and have some extra on hand in case you need more.(The amount you need may vary, depending,for example on how dry your flour is and how large the egg is,etc.).
- 5Form cookies by pinching off a little dough and rolling it with your hands into a rope about 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long.Connect the dough together at both ends to form a ring.Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.Repeat with remaining dough,placing the cookies about 1 inch apart.
- 6Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned( check the bottom of the cookies) and dry to the touch.
- 7Remove to a wire rack to cool,sprinkling with additional powdered sugar if desired.These taste best if allwed to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pemoles-Toasted Corn Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.0
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 71.6 mg
- Sodium 306.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 32.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g