Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great way to eat against the grain/paleo. If you are a purist, avoid the food processor and just grind the stuff between a couple of rocks. This recipe is based on one from Ray Audette, author of "Neanderthin: A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition". Don't be afraid to mess with the quantities, these are just my estimates. Pemmican will last forever if it is kept dry. Also, cooking time does not include drying time for meat.
- 5 lbs boneless eye of round beef steak (about 20 oz. dried until brittle)
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 6 tablespoons fat (tallow)
- Place the meat and the cherries into your food processor.
- Process until they are ground up.
- Add tallow until mixture is saturated.
- Place in container and enjoy.
- Note: Meat must be dried until there is NO moisture or spoilage could result.
- Note: You can get tallow by broiling cheap hamburger on your broiler pan and saving the drippings.
- Note: Watch for condensation if you use an airtight container. It is better to use a loose lid container and just leave the pemmican sit out until it is gone.