1/1 Photo of Pelow Shirin - Festive Persian Rice Dish
1 hr 30 mins
A colorful traditional dish with a mixture of delicious flavors and visual appeal. Thanks to my friend Susi for getting it from her sister for me! All of the parts can be prepared the night before except for the rice, then warmed and mixed while the rice is cooking before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 oranges (not shellacked)
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 4 cups basmati rice or 4 cups persian rice
- 50 g margarine (for roasting chicken)
- oil, for sauteing
- 50 g margarine (for sauteing)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 medium roasting chicken
- honey-roasted pecans (optional)
- slivered almonds (optional)
- shelled pistachios (optional)
- raisins (optional)
- 1For candied orange peel:.
- 2Coarsely grate orange peels and put in a small saucepan.
- 3Cover with 1 liter water and bring to a boil, then drain and repeat this process (to reduce the bitterness).
- 4Cover peels with the sugar and add 1 L water.
- 5Bring to a boil and then simmer, stirring.
- 6After 15 minutes, taste it. It should be very sweet syrup. If it's not, add sugar. If it's too thick, add some water.
- 7Simmer until rind looks translucent around the edges and is swimming in sugary syrup.
- 8For roasted chicken:.
- 9Put whole chicken into an oven roasting dish and drown in the orange concentrate and pats of margarine.
- 10Cover and roast in 375°F oven until cooked (approx 1 1/2 hours).
- 11When it is done, let it cool slightly in the covered pot until you can safely peel off the skin and cut into bit-sized pieces.
- 12Drown the pieces in the chicken's sauce until it is time to serve.
- 13For carrot mixture:.
- 14Heat 50g margarine and oil in frying pan and sauté the carrots for 5 minutes.
- 15Add the cinnamon, then add any of the optional dried fruits or nuts and cover and simmer a few minutes longer, until everything has softened.
- 16Add the candied orange peel with its syrup.
- 17For rice:.
- 18Rinse rice until no longer starchy (water should be clear, not milky).
- 19Boil rice with 4 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt, then simmer for 7 minutes. Do not remove the lid, rather leave the rice to cook in the steam for 1/2 hour.
- 20Putting it all together:.
- 21Drain carrot-orange mixture, keeping syrup to be drizzled on according to taste.
- 22Add the carrots and chicken pieces to the rice and serve.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pelow Shirin - Festive Persian Rice Dish
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1205.7
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 35.6 mg
- Sodium 234.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 228.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 128.9 g
- Protein 20.7 g