Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Russian meat pastries can be boiled or fried.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 kg pork
- 1⁄2 kg beef
- 1 onion
- black pepper
- flour (3 parts)
- water (1 part)
- Prepare meat filling: Mix together egg, pork, beef, onion, pepper and salt well.
- Prepare the dough: Mix flour, water and salt into a thick dough.
- Roll the dough thin.
- Cut out circles of the dough with the help of a glass or a cup.
- Put a piece of meat filling into the middle the dough circle.
- Fold the circle and stick the edges together.
- Put them into salted boiling water and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- They are ready when they lift up on the surface of the water.
- Lift the cooked pelmenies out from the water, drain, and place on a plate.
- Or fry the pelmeni with some oil in a frying-pan.
- Put it on the plate, add some sour-cream, pepper, butter, sauce and so on.
- Or put it on a deep plate, add some chicken broth.
- For Fried pelmenies: eat with about 100 ml of Russian vodka.
My grandmother from Siberia made these all the time. In the winter all the women from the village would go from house to house making them. They would fill gunny sacks and put outside to freeze. The women would then make a broth and go outside to get scoops of the pelmeni and cook in the broth. Sort of a staple.
I make them and to speed the process use won ton wrappers cut down a bit.