Pelau (Rice, Chicken and Pigeon Peas) Popular Trinidad Dish that can be cooked with any type of meat. Recipe with some personal edits is from Trinidad and Tobago Naparima Girls' High School Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skinned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mixed green seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar (*or caramel browning)
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers or 1/2 cup pimento pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pigeon peas
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin (*optional)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (*optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 hot pepper
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 1Season chicken with salt, pepper, green seasoning, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and ketchup.
- 2Heat oil in a large heavy iron pot or skillet.
- 3Add sugar and allow to burn until brown.
- 4Add seasoned chicken and stir until pieces are well coated with burnt sugar; brown for 3-5 minutes. *Add more water if needed.
- 5Add rice and turn often until well mixed. Cook for 3 minutes more.
- 6Add onion, sweet peppers, carrots and pumpkin and cook for a few minutes, stirring a few times.
- 7Add peas, salt, hot pepper, coconut milk and broth. Bring to the boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until rice is cooked and all liquid is evaporated (about 25-30 minutes).
- 8Add more liquid if rice is still hard and continue to cook for few more minutes.
- 9Note: Pelau could also be baked in an oven. Cover pot with tin foil and bake at 350F degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Nutritional Facts for PELAU
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 755.0
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.6 mg
- Sodium 1531.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 44.1 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: