Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Dr. Shintani's "Eat More, Weigh Less"
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth, with
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried wood ear mushrooms (black-mushroom)
- 1⁄4 cup dried golden needles
- 1⁄4 cup tofu, cubed (about 1/2 small-cake)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon scallion, minced (for garnishing)
- Boil water and soak wood ears and golden needles separately for about 15 minutes.
- Break off hard pieces from wood ears and hard stems from golden needles, if any.
- Cut golden needles in halves and snap the large pieces of wood ears into smaller pieces.
- Wash and drain.
- Mix the corn starch with 1/2 cup cold water.
- Stir until smooth.
- Mix vinegar and pepper.
- Mix vegetable broth and water.
- Add salt and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil and add wood ears and golden needles.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Add tofu.
- As soup boils, stir in the well-stirred corn starch mixture until it thickens.
- Serve in bowl with vinegar and pepper.
- Garnish with scallions.
- Serve hot.