Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Prep time is for overnight marinading.
- 2 lbs chicken legs (with or without skin)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce (store bought or see Hoisin Sauce Recipe)
- Wash and dry chicken legs. Place chicken legs in a non-metallic dish or resealable plastic bag. To make marinade, place marinade ingredients in a 2-cup measuring cup and stir until well combined. Pour marinade over chicken and cover or close bag. Marinate in refrigerator several hours or overnight.
- To make basting sauce, place sauce ingredients in a 2-cup measuring cup and stir until well combined; set aside.
- Preheat grill and lightly coat with oil or cooking spray. Drain chicken and discard marinade. Place chicken on prepared grill 4 to 6 inches from source of heat.
- Cook 25 to 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush chicken with basting sauce and continue to grill an additional 10 to 15 minutes, basting and turning frequently until chicken is no longer pink inside. Watch closely to prevent over browning.
This was the best chicken I've made in a while! I didn't have everything on hand so I used fresh ginger and garlic granules in the marinade. In the basting sauce I subbed barbeque sauce for the ketchup and added a bit of crushed red pepper. I used chicken thighs and baked them for an hour, adding basting sauce at 45 and 55 minutes. The marinade complimented the basting sauce perfectly! Thanks Gailanng!