Recipe by Creation in Hope
I am posting this for the Zaar World Tour II. I have not tried this recipe. The ground chestnut in this recipe represents the yellow dust of the Mongolian dessert. This is compliments of http://chinesefood.about.com/od/desserts/r/pekingdust.htm
- 2 lbs fresh chestnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3 drops vanilla extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a slit on the flat side of each chestnut.
- Place in boiling water and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Drain them and allow them to cool.
- Shell them making sure to get all of the 'meat' and you need to remove ALL of the skin.
- Grind them into a fine powder.
- Stir in salt and sugar.
- Whip your cream to your desired thickness and fold in your caster sugar and vanilla, if using this.
- To Serve:
- Either form the chestnut mixture into one large mound or form smaller mounds in individual serving bowls. Top with the whipped cream mixture.