Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Top Review by Arabannie
This duck was unbelievable. I was a little leary about hanging a duck out for so long, but wow, this was truly fantastic. I prepared it exactly as the recipe is written, hung it for 6 hours in front of a fan and it was the juiciest duck ever. The skin was a beautiful color and very crispy. We had these with Bergy's "Mandarine Pancakes" and ate like kings. Top notch recipe with perfect results.
- 1 (5 lb) duck
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 scallions
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 12 Chinese pancakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off duck wings at second joint, remove excess fat and skin, rinse and dry well.
- Insert chopstick thru neck opening and force along the wing bone under the skin until it protrudes slightly at the second joint.
- Push other end along other wing so that you end up with a duck that has its arms straight out like a crucifix.
- Tie a string on to the middle so you can hold the duck and hang it up.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil in a wok.
- Add maltose or honey and stir to dissolve.
- Add sherry and vinegar.
- Make a slurry out of the cornstarch and add to wok.
- When liquid returns to a boil, dip the duck into liquid and spoon liquid over duck.
- Repeat until duck is thoroughly moistened.
- Repeat dunking once more.
- Hang duck by string in a cool airy place with a bowl underneath to catch drips.
- Leave for 4-6 hours until skin is dry and taught.
- Put roasting pan on lower oven rack and fill with 2-3 inches of water.
- Oil rack above pan.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove chopstick and string.
- Put duck on oiled rack in center of oven breast side up.
- Cook 30 minutes.
- Turn duck breast down for 45 minutes.
- Turn breast up for 30 minutes or until skin is dark brown.
- While duck is cooking make scallion brushes.
- Trim roots,cut off most of green part, leaving a 3 inch piece.
- Make several 1 inch lengthwise slits in each end of scallion, put in ice water for 20 minutes, drain and refrigerate.
- Carve duck and separate meat and skin.
- Mix hoisin with sesame oil and 1 tbl water.
- To serve: use scallion brushes to wipe hoisin mixture on to pancakes, add duck skin and meat and scallion, fold one end over and roll up.