Prep 8 hrs
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
The duck should be carved at the table. First the skin is cut away in thin slices and served with a manderine pancake (see "Bergy Dim Sum" for recipe), a green onion that has been sliced to make a fan of the end. this is dipped in the hoi sin sauce and is brushed onto the pancake. the onion the skin, afew slivers of cuke are then wrapped in the pancake and eaten. This is the most important course. The duck meat can then be placed on another platter and served with Manderin pancakes or quickly stir fried with red and green sliced peppers and green onions.
- 1 (5 lb) duck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup vodka
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups water
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- to taste Mandarin pancake
- to taste green onion, ends sliced to make a brush
- to taste hoisin sauce
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut in slivers
- Wash& dry the duck inside and out.
- Rub salt into the cavity.
- Put Duck on a large plate spoon the vodka over the duck& rub all over, turn the duck and make sure you rub the vodka all over the bird Leave it for 4 hours.
- Dissolve the honey in the water and rub all over the duck.
- Do not miss any area Truss the bird and tie a cord around it's neck and hang it in front of an electric fan Leave it to dry for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375f.
- Place the ginger inside the duck.
- Place duck on a rack in a pan with water in it.
- The duck must be well above the water.
- Cook for 30 minutes then turn heat down to 300F degrees and continue roasting for about 1 hour.
- Turn heat up to 375f and continue roasting until skin is crisp and brown all over.
this was my 1st time dealing with a duck and im happy with the result having used this recipe. + 1 other mouth is happy :) makes it a nice recipe to use again. Thank you for the recipe, it was delicious :)
This recipe is as best as the ones I'd normally get from restaurant, and it just taste so much better. The result of this is so much worth the wait during preparation time. Believe me, you won't even feel time when you're savouring every pieces. I'd highly recommend this to any duck meat lovers. Will make again. Saves me much money from buying in restaurants.