Recipe by evelyn/athens
Big peking duck fan here - this peking chicken isn't quite the same but, nevertheless, makes a great sandwich and does satisfy the craving.
Top Review by twissis
Made as written (using pork) for The Quest 2014. Oddly, ALL approved recipes using hoisin sauce called for already prepared hoisin sauce, so I used my go-to for it - Recipe #312492 by Alskann. I am a Peking duck fan too & you certainly got the flavor we were both after. Peking duck is usually served w/pancakes & cucumber sticks to give an element of texture other than the meat. Perhaps the cucumber sticks, bean sprouts or even snow peas would be good opt adds to give that extra texture. Thx for sharing this yummy recipe w/us.
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sambal oelek or 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves or 2 lbs pork loin or 2 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, divided
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup sliced green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, grated gingerroot, minced garlic and chili paste in a medium bowl.
- Reserve 1 cup hoisin sauce mixture; set aside.
- Cut chicken or pork into thin slices.
- Add chicken or pork to the remaining sauce mixture in bowl, and stir well.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator up to 8 hours and at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken or pork from bowl; discard marinade.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with some olive oil and place over medium heat until hot.
- Add half of the chicken or pork, being careful not to crowd pan so chicken or pork doesn't stew but actually sears and cook 5 minutes or until done.
- Remove chicken or pork from skillet, and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining chicken or pork (you may need to wash up your pan between searing).
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of reserved hoisin sauce mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Arrange 1/8 of chicken or pork slices and 2 tablespoons green onion slices down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up and enjoy!