Recipe by Miss. McGillicudy
A recipe I have used many times, one of Madame Wong's best. Much easier than it appears to be. Prep time includes marinating.
Top Review by abby 12
this is probley the best chinese chicken i have ever cooked or tasted. you know how hard it is to home cook chinese food and make it taste like the restaurants do?, well this recipie is just awesome, all my family love it and we had friends over for dinner one night and the lady said i should'nt have ordered out for them, when i told her i cooked it she did'nt believe me. thanks for posting this recipie, it's top class.footnote i used chicken thighs sliced into big chunks, and added a teaspoon of powdered chicken stock with the flour.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice wine or 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 cups oil, for deep-frying
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the skin from the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into 8 equal pieces.
- Rub the salt and white pepper over the chicken pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, Chinese rice wine or sherry, 2 of the chopped green onions, minced ginger and sugar.
- Set aside half of the marinade to use later.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large resealable bag.
- Pour in the unreserved marinade.
- Seal and place in the refrigerator. Marinate for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally to make sure all of the chicken is covered.
- Heat oil for deep-frying to between 360-375°F.
- While the oil is heating, drain the chicken pieces and discard the marinade used to marinate the chicken.
- Make sure the chicken pieces are quite dry.
- Dredge each of the chicken pieces in the flour.
- Deep-fry the chicken, a few pieces at a time, in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the wok.
- Add the minced garlic and the reserved green onion and stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Add the reserved marinade.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the deep-fried chicken.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately.