Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is not really a bread, more like a fritter, a great way to use up leftover mashed potato. This is so basic, only 3 ingredients, but tastes great especially when an infused oil is used. I used a garlic-basil infused oil. Feel free to add extras to your taste like spring onions, chives etc. Found this in an old potato cookbook picked up in a thrift shop.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour (this will vary depending on the moisture in the potatoes)
- oil (for frying)
- Combine mashed potato & salt in a bowl and mix in sufficient flour to make a soft, manageable dough.
- Oil a barbeque hotplate or frypan and place dough on the pan pressed down to about 5mm thickness.
- Cook over a moderate heat until lightly browned then turn & cook the other side.
- NB/ Can either be cut into serving sized pieces once placed in the pan or after completely cooked.
A very tasty breakfast this morning. I scaled down the recipe for two, and added some chopped ham, minced garlic and chives - and panfried the "potato bread" until it was nicely browned and we enjoyed it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Mandy. Made for Newest Zaar Tag!