Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from the Pei Wei Asian Diner website. It would be, what you call, a refrigerator pie.
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gelatin
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups mango puree (jar of chilled fresh mango, drain syrup then puree)
- 1 fresh mango, slice into 1/8 inch slices (optional)
- candied ginger, slice into thin strip (optional)
- Melt butter in microwave. Mix sugar, coconut & graham cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl. Slowly add butter to crumb mixture, mixing in between until crumbs hold together when squeezed in your hand.
- Spread a little butter on a standard foil pie pan. Press crust in an even layer to fill pan, all the way up on the sides as well. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and let cool.
- Place 1 ¼ cup of the heavy cream in a small sauce pan & add the vanilla extract. Place on low heat. As the cream warms very slowly, sprinkle in the gelatin while whisking the cream so it does not glob together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks & sugar together until fluffy and light yellow.
- Once the cream comes to a simmer, remove from stove, pour a little of the warm cream into the egg mixture and whisk to temper the eggs. Add a little more cream to temper the eggs, then pour that mixture back into the sauce pan of remaining cream.
- Turn heat back on low, and stir slowly & constantly until cream mixture thickens but does not curdle. Once it thickens, remove from heat and place in a mixing bowl over another mixing bowl filled with ice. This is to cool the mixture down quickly.
- While cooling down the mixture, whisk in the mango puree.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the remaining ¾ cup of heavy cream into whipped cream with stiff peaks (Cream peaks should hold up and not move once you stop whipping).
- Once mango mixture is cool, fold in whipped cream gently making your filling light & fluffy. Pour filling into pie crust mounding a peak in the center. Place in refrigeration until it stiffens and gets solid.
- Once chilled, garnish each slice with fresh mango slices and candied ginger.