Recipe by gailanng
Peg’s Banana Cream Supreme won Best of Show and first place winner submitted to American Pie Council/Crisco National Pie Championship in Orlando, FL. NOTE: Tastes better the next day.
Top Review by laubys_7525064
I am honored to be the first to review this pie recipe. I have followed this recipe to the exact directions, twice, with perfect results. The time and effort that must have been put into this dessert recipe has paid off. This is an amazing pie and simple to follow. Thank you for your effort and for sharing with us home cooks.
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
Cream Cheese Layer
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 6 ounces non-dairy whipped topping
Bananas and Cream
- 2 -4 ripe bananas (should have yellow stems and have a few brown spots)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -4 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 1⁄8 cup caramel topping
- 1⁄4 cup nut crunch topping (such as Fisher Nut Topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Crust: Mix all ingredients together and press mixture into a 9 or 9 1/2-inch pie plate. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 10 minutes, or until brown. Allow to cool down to room temperature.
- Cream Cheese Layer: Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Fold in the non-dairy whipped topping and chill. If you are using a smaller pie pan, make sure you get around a 1/2 inch layer of this cream cheese layer (use the rest for a fruit dip).
- Bananas and Cream: Mix sugar, salt and starch in a pot. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and cream slightly. To the pot, slowly add the milk, then the egg yolk and cream mixture. Heat over medium heat, whisking frequently, until thick and bubbling (but not rapidly boiling). Once the cream is bubbling, continue to cook and whisk for 30 more seconds. Finally, add the butter and vanilla and mix until the cream is smooth. Set aside.
- Cut bananas into even pieces. Place a layer of bananas on the cream cheese layer. Try to cover as much as possible as this acts as an insulator and keeps the heat away from the cream cheese. Add a layer of hot cream, a layer of bananas, and then top off the bananas with as much of the cream as possible. Place a plastic sheet over the cream in order to prevent a skin from forming on the cream filling. Place in refrigerator and chill for several hours.
- Topping: Top with your favorite whipped topping (whipped cream recommended, non-dairy whipped topping not recommended). Drizzle with (room temperature) caramel sauce and top with a prepared nut topping Keep cold. (Tastes better the next day).