Recipe by Aunt Willie
Found in my grandmother's shoebox of clipped recipes. She had a number of vegetable "bakes" -- all a little faded and some with handwritten notes. This one had "Peggy's favorite!" written across the bottom. I have no idea who Peggy is or was -- but she evidently really liked this one.
Top Review by Bev in NY
This recipe is a wonderful way to prepare that excess summer squash and was relatively easy to make. The onion seemed to overpower the delicate flavor of the squash however, and I even cut it back by half. Next time I will only use 1/4 cup of onion.
- 1 lb summer squash
- 1 cup onion, finely grated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash in a small amount of water.
- Drain and add onion, cheese, cream, butter, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Mix all together and put in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and paprika.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes, or until mixture bubbles and top is brown.