Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom's original recipe. Use your food processor not only to process the ham, but to chop the vegetables, too. Freezes well.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 453.59 g ham seasoning or 453.59 g ham steak
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23-2.46 ml dried basil
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 118.29 ml Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- black pepper
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese (or more)
- additional breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter 13"x9" baking pan.
- Peel and cube eggplant. Boil in just enough water to cover until very tender; drain well and set aside.
- Using a food processor, process ham until coarsley chopped; set aside.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, fry together onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- Add basil, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika and reserved ham, stirring well. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Turn off fire.
- Add eggplant, mashing well and breaking up chunks.
- Add to the eggplant mixture 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; combine.
- Turn mixture into prepared baking pan, smoothing top.
- Sprinkle top with the additional breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake 350 degrees about 20 - 30 minutes or until crumbs and cheese on top become slightly browned.
This sure isn`t a pretty dish but it sure does taste pretty good! I sauteed the onions, peppers and garlic in in Pam sprayed pan. Used prosciutto in place of the ham. The eggplant i cooked in the microwave then finished in the pan with the onions. I did make half the recipe. Plated it on tomato sauce. Next time I would give a light layer of tomato sauce instead of the butter then top with grated cheese. Thanks!!!
Double darn this is so good, I know you will be licking the casserole dish. I followed this exactly, except since I had some very fresh, and very small eggplants that were as tender as a baby flowers. So the change I made was not to peel the eggplant and mash it. It was just so good, and I wouldn't change one other thing. Your Mom is a winner and has a winner on her hands! Thank her for me, please? Made for *Everyday is a Holiday* tag. Septembre 2009.
I adored this. I have never tried a recipe where the eggplant is peeled nor have I ever boiled eggplant so I was keen to give this a go. I used a large red onion and diced bacon instead of ham. I am very grateful to Peggy and Gail !! Made for Holiday Tag.