1/3 Photos of Peggy's Eggplant Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
My mom's original recipe. Use your food processor not only to process the ham, but to chop the vegetables, too. Freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants
- 453.59 g ham seasoning or 453.59 g ham steak
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23-2.46 ml dried basil
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 118.29 ml Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- black pepper
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese (or more)
- additional breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- 2Lightly butter 13"x9" baking pan.
- 3Peel and cube eggplant. Boil in just enough water to cover until very tender; drain well and set aside.
- 4Using a food processor, process ham until coarsley chopped; set aside.
- 5In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, fry together onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- 6Add basil, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika and reserved ham, stirring well. Cook about 5 minutes.
- 7Turn off fire.
- 8Add eggplant, mashing well and breaking up chunks.
- 9Add to the eggplant mixture 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; combine.
- 10Turn mixture into prepared baking pan, smoothing top.
- 11Sprinkle top with the additional breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- 12Dot with butter.
- 13Bake 350 degrees about 20 - 30 minutes or until crumbs and cheese on top become slightly browned.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peggy's Eggplant Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.8
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.7 mg
- Sodium 265.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.2 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 12.6 g