Recipe by gailanng
My mom's original recipe. Use your food processor not only to process the ham, but to chop the vegetables, too. Freezes well.
Top Review by Rita~
This sure isn`t a pretty dish but it sure does taste pretty good! I sauteed the onions, peppers and garlic in in Pam sprayed pan. Used prosciutto in place of the ham. The eggplant i cooked in the microwave then finished in the pan with the onions. I did make half the recipe. Plated it on tomato sauce. Next time I would give a light layer of tomato sauce instead of the butter then top with grated cheese. Thanks!!!
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 lb ham seasoning or 1 lb ham steak
- 1 1⁄2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 small bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (or more)
- additional breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter 13"x9" baking pan.
- Peel and cube eggplant. Boil in just enough water to cover until very tender; drain well and set aside.
- Using a food processor, process ham until coarsley chopped; set aside.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, fry together onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- Add basil, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika and reserved ham, stirring well. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Turn off fire.
- Add eggplant, mashing well and breaking up chunks.
- Add to the eggplant mixture 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; combine.
- Turn mixture into prepared baking pan, smoothing top.
- Sprinkle top with the additional breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake 350 degrees about 20 - 30 minutes or until crumbs and cheese on top become slightly browned.