Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious Broccoli Salad, The recipe was given to me by my daughter Peggy. She has made it for family get togethers and pot lucks. Everyone seems to like it even people that doesn't care for broccoli. Sugar substitute can be used, also nonfat or low-fat mayonnaise and it still tastes great.I used less bacon, light mayonnaise and sliced almonds. Time does not include chilling time.
- 10 slices bacon (I used less bacon, 5 slices)
- 1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayonnaise)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or 1 cup sliced almonds
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until evenly brown.
- Remove bacon to paper towel,cool.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine broccoli,onion and raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise.
- Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss until well mixed.
- Refrigerate at least two (2) hours.
- Before serving, Toss salad with crumbled bacon and nuts.
Even without the bacon this salad was savory and crunchy and delicious. I substituted Nayonnaise, vidalia onions, and apple cider vinegar without disrupting the integrity of the recipe too much. It turned out very tasty indeed, especially the sweet bites with the raisins. Thanks, Barbara