Recipe by Elisa72
The only request my new husband had for our first holiday meal together was cheese grits. Having never had them before I called his mother for her recipe and have been hooked ever since! UPDATE: I wanted to cut the fat content so tried this recipe with light Velveeta and cut the butter to 1/3 cup. We couldn't tell the difference and cut the fat content by about a third!
Top Review by LonghornMama
Yum! I love grits but rarely make cheese grits cause I can sit down and eat the whole thing. These were wonderful with Easter dinner, a great side to ham, but would be fabulous with brunch, barbecue, or so many other meals. Easy to make and lovely to serve. I used 2% Velveeta with great results. Thanks, Elisa, for sharing the recipe!!
- 1 cup grits, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut in chunks
- 3⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese, cut in chunks
- 2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the grits according to the package directions in a large saucepan.
- When the grits are cooked, stir in all ingredients except the eggs until the butter and cheese are melted.
- Stir some of the grits mixture into the eggs, then blend the eggs into the grits.
- Put the mixture in a greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.