Recipe by JLBurnell
I found this in TOH, originally submitted by Bethany Eledge
Top Review by Lizzymommy
Super cute! I used a box mix for speed (I'd usually bake from scratch), and my favorite chocolate frosting Recipe# 140056. Set the kid to filling in the spiral of sunflower seeds (math in action! Fibonacci sequence!) and we have an adorable cake to share at a potluck the day before Easter. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chocolate frosting
- 19 yellow chick marshmallow peeps
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-inch round baking pans.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; carefully remove waxed paper.
- Level tops of cake.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Without separating peeps, and curving slightly to fit, arrange chicks around edge of cake for sunflower petals.
- For sunflower seeds arrange chocolate chips in center of cake.
- Yield 12 servings.