Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
read in an Amish book that these were named because they were given to a fussy child to quiet them...sounds good to me!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg white
- 3⁄4 cup mixed orangeand lemon peel, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar, add egg and vanilla till blendd.
- gradually fold in flour, working by hand till blended.
- chill in refrigerator -- 1-2 hours.
- preheat oven to 350* -- grease and flour a cookie sheet --
- on floured surface -- roll dough out to 1/4" thickness.cut into 2" squares and transfer half to cookie sheet.brush lightly with beaten egg white -- and place a small spoonful of mixed peel which has been combined with 1/2 cup granulated sugar, in center of each square.
- cut a 1/2" opening in remaining squares.
- place on top of squares with filling.
- pressing edges together to seal.
- bake 12-15 minutes or till golden.
- transfer cookies to rack to cool -- .