Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great family meal.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (10 ounce) bag corn chips
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 15 ounces kidney beans or 15 ounces chili beans, with liquid
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic.
- Stir in tomato sauce, oregano and chili powder.
- Grease a 1 ½ qt casserole.
- Alternate layers of beans, meat mixture and corn chips; end with corn chips.
- Bake covered at 350°F for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes.
- Before serving garnish with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and grated cheese.
I can't believe I found this recipe. We used to have this quite frequently when I was growing up. The only change I made to this recipe was adding a little extra cheddar cheese. This tastes exactly as I remembered and the entire family loved it. We always called this Pedro's casserole for an unknown reason and I think the recipe is buried on RZ because of the name. This is an excellent Mexican Casserole that is easy to make! I hope more people try it out... enjoy!