Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This salad nicoise is definitely not traditional, but darn is it ever tasty!! It's cheap to make, super healthy, and addictively delish. Makes a lot and is a great next day lunch.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 (6 ounce) cans chunk tuna (get the best you can, packed in oil is great)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped kalamata olives or 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can black olives
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- salt & pepper
- Cook rice in 3 3/4 cups water. (Bring rice and water to a boil, cover and reduce to minimum for 20 minutes).
- Let rice cool completely.
- Mix red wine vinigar, olive oil, and dijon in a jar and shake well to emulsify.
- Open cans of tuna and drain
- Add all ingredients together in a big bowl, season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Chill in thr fridge or eat right away.
- I always douse some extra vinigar over my own serving.
- Eat as a main dish or as a side. Tastes better the next day!
Thank you for a great recipe. We really enjoyed it and I wouldn't change a thing.
Delicious! To be honest, I must tell what I did differently: I used bulgur wheat instead of basmati rice, and I couldn't help adding a little bit of chopped fresh parsley. Everything else was according to the recipe. This was a very fresh, light and healthful lunch! I LOVED it! Delicious bites of different flavors on every spoonful. Thanks, ieatfoOOd. Made for PAC Spring 2008