Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
The book, Chili-Lovers' Cook Book, is a collection of chili recipes compiled from many different sources, including cookoffs, community cookbooks, and more. This recipe's source is a Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson of Stonewall, Texas. :-)
- 4 lbs coarsely ground round steaks (, or chuck, well trimmed)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (the recipe calls for "comino seed" so I'm guessing that's cumin)
- 6 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned whole tomatoes
- 2 -6 dashes liquid hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups hot water
- Place meat, onion and garlic in a large, heavy frying pan or Dutch oven; cook unti light coloured.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for about 1 hour; skim off fat during cooking.
This is a good chili. We like it because it is easy to make, lower in fat, and tastes very good. Lyndon Johnson loved the greasy kind of chili, but Mrs Johnson reduced the fat in this recipe after his heart attack. This is recipe is probably as healthy as chili gets. Thanks for posting this one.
Very very tasty and very very easy. We like our chili a little spicier but this was delicious.
This was good but I found it a little bland. It was spicy enough but not flavorful enough for me.