Prep 25 mins
Cook 9 mins
Taken from Love Italian v2
- 1 kg mussels, cleaned and beard removed
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 0 tomato paste
- 59.14 ml water
- 2.46 ml white balsamic vinegar
- cracked black pepper
- 59.14 ml finely shredded bacon
- 118.29 ml finely grated pecorino cheese
- basil or chopped flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
- Place prepared mussels into a large saucepan with 1 cup water. Bring to the boil tossing mussels until the shells open (discard any mussels that do not open). Drain and remove mussells. Take the top shell off the mussels.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add spring onions and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes until tender.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, vinegar and pepper.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the tomato mixture onto each mussel, sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
- Place under a hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve garnished with herbs.