Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This makes crunchy and moist chicken fingers, which are served with zucchini and a marinara dipping sauce.
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, toasted lightly (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grataed pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with press
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-in thick half-moon shapes (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, chopped, plus small whole basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 475°. Place a wire rack inside a 15 1/2-inch by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan; spray pan and rack with cooking spray.
- On a plate, combine panko, pecorino, ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a pie plate, whisk egg whites and garlic until well mixed.
- One at a time, dip chicken tenders in egg-white mixture, then into panko mixture to coat evenly; press firmly so mixture adheres. Arrange chicken on rack in jelly-roll pan; spray chicken lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake chicken 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown and chicken is no longer pink throughout.
- While chicken cooks, in microwave-safe medium bowl, place zucchini and 2 tablespoons water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and cook in microwave on high 5 minutes or until zucchini is just fork-tender. Carefully remove plastic wrap and drain zucchini; stir in lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Meanwhile, in a 1-quart saucepan, heat marinara sauce on medium-low 5 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in chopped basil. Serve dipping sauce with chicken fingers and zucchini; garnish chicken and dipping sauce with basil leaves.
Wow!!!! I'm almost at a loss for words this was so yummy and so easy to make! Everything worked out so well following your instructions...everyone enjoyed the chicken, zucchini and the dipping sauce! What a great dinner you provided by sharing your recipe! Thanks so much! Tagged & made for Potluck Tag.