Prep 50 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice little tidbit to have with cocktails. They melt in your mouth and are very tender.
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- In 1-cup microwave-safe glass measure or bowl, heat wine in microwave on High 6 to 7 minutes or until reduced to 1 tablespoon.
- Cool 10 minutes in refrigerator.
- On waxed paper, combine flour, salt, and 1 cup Romano.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat margarine and sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in wine.
- With mixer at low speed, beat in flour mixture until blended.
- On 16-inch-long sheet of waxed paper, mix pepper with remaining 1/2 cup Romano.
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces (each about heaping 1/4 cup).
- Roll each into 13" by 1/2" log.
- Roll logs in cheese mixture.
- Wrap each log in plastic wrap and slide onto cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Freeze at least 15 minutes or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- (Or, place dough in refrigerator about 1 hour.) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove 1 log from freezer at a time; discard plastic wrap.
- Cut log into 1/2-inch-thick coins.
- Arrange coins 1/2-inch apart, on prepared cookie sheet.
- Repeat with logs to fill 1 cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Slide parchment onto wire rack; cool coins completely.
- Repeat with remaining logs.
- Store coins in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week or in freezer up to 3 months.