Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Pechuga de Parilla means "chicken from the grill", but this flavorful marinade can be used for shrimp, pork, or even quail. It comes from a 1986 Houston Post recipe by Mary Nell Reck and I've served it since then. This colorful Southwestern dinner goes well with black or charro beans, Spanish rice, and flan for dessert.
Top Review by EdsGirlAngie
I loved the flavor of this marinade! It's wonderful on vegetables - I marinated tomato wedges, Bermuda onion and some bell pepper for about half a day; also marinated a chicken breast in the mixture for the boyfriend. Since it's a little too cold to grill, I did the chicken in the oven and the veggies as kind of a stir-fry. The flavor was outstanding! I can't wait to actually grill with this marinade! Thanks so much Leslie for a wonderful, easy marinade recipe that tastes equally delicious on vegetables!
- 8 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano (6 T. fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined, and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed then finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 red onions
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 limes (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade.
- Place the chicken in the marinade,turning to cover all sides.
- Cover and marinate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Slice the red,yellow, and green bell peppers into 1/2 inch slices,remove seeds and veins.
- Peel and slice the onions into 1/2 inch slices.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill.
- Add soaked hickory chips if desired.
- Remove chicken breasts from marinade;reserve marinade.
- Grill chicken breasts until done.
- Transfer to serving platter and keep warm.
- Place the vegetables on the grill and brush generously with reserved marinade.
- Allow 5-7 minutes for the onions, 3-4 minutes for the peppers, and 2 minutes for the tomatoes.
- Cook all vegetables except for the tomatoes on both sides.
- While veggies are cooking, bring 1 c marinade to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Place the grilled vegetables on the platter surrounding the chicken and drizzle with the warm marinade.
- Garnish with lime slices and cilantro sprigs.
- Serve immediately.