Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Who knew you could easily make your own homemade cherry sauce to go with your favorite waffle? I used frozen dark sweet cherries, and it was very good, but I bet if cherries were in season and you used fresh it would be even better. I used twice the pecans the recipe called for because I love them, and I heated them in the oven at around 350 until toasted. This recipe came from Family Circle All-Time Favorite Recipes. YUM!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries or 12 ounces frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup honey or 1⁄4 cup cherry jam
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cherry Sauce: Combine cherries with maple syrup and honey in a small saucepan.
- Bring to simmering (meanwhile, start toasting your pecans for the waffles and make the waffle batter).
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into cherry mixture.
- Cook, stirring, 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Makes 2 1/2 cups.
- Waffles: Heat waffle iron. Heat oven to 225. (I heated my oven at 350 to toast the pecans and didn't bother heating at 225 because there weren't any leftovers to keep warm).
- Combine flours, toasted pecans, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- Whisk butter and brown sugar in a medium-size bowl until blended.
- Whisk in eggs and milk.
- Add to well and stir to blend.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Coat waffle iron lightly with nonstick cooking spray (if my iron needs coating, I use my butter wrappers to coat instead because I prefer the butter flavor and it makes good use of all the butter).
- Spoon batter onto iron.
- Cover and cook 4 minutes or until browned.
- Remove waffles. Stack between sheets of waxed paper on a baking sheet and keep warm in heated 225 oven (I skipped this step).
- Repeat with remaining batter and serve with sauce.
- Combine flo.