Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
Between handing out goodies to neighbors and hungry family members, I ran out of pie. Although I was out of some standard ingredients, I put this together and it turned out pretty good. My husband even prefers it over the *first* pecan pie and I will probably use this recipe now for nut pies; doing without HFCS is probably a good thing. ;) Warning: it is pretty sweet. I used Laurie's "No Roll Pie Crust", My No Roll Pie Crust, subbing 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for white. Preparation time includes preparing crust.
- 1 pie crust, whole wheat (I pre-bake mine for 10 minutes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses, unsulphured
- 1⁄2 cup organic blue agave nectar
- 1⁄2 cup raw honey
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, finely ground
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Mix sugar, molasses, agave, honey, butter and salt until well blended, add beaten eggs, blend well.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts at the bottom of the prebaked pie crust, pour filling on top. This filling will be thicker than the traditional pecan pie filling.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Place a sheet of foil loosely on top and continue to bake for 20-25 minutes, just until the pie is only slightly jiggly. Cool completely.