Prep 15 mins
Cook 36 mins
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1⁄4 small white cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons polyunsaturated margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup edam cheese or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped pecans
- Blanch carrot, zucchini, onion, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid and place the vegetables in an ovenproof dish.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in milk and reserved cooking liquid, stirring until sauce becomes thick, add pepper to taste and pour sauce over vegetables.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and then breadcrumbs and pecans.
- Bake in a moderate oven 375 degree for 30 minutes.