Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
Time includes "cooling time." Adapted from a recipe in Cookies Year-Round by Rosemary Black (Store in an airtight container at room temperature, between layers of waxed paper for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- olive oil
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into a sifter.
- Beat the butter and sugar for 4 minutes.
- Add the egg and the vanilla and beat well.
- Sift the flour over the creamed mixture and beat until combined.
- Grease a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with olive oil.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan and refrigerate the pan for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Bake the crust for about 25 minutes or until golden, rotating the pan once halfway through baking time.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast in the oven alongside the crust for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden.
- When cool, chop in a food processor or by hand.
- On medium high heat, measure sugar into a heavy 3-quart saucepan. When it starts to melt and turn golden, stir it occasionally.
- Continue to cook, stirring until the sugar completely melts and turns light brown.
- Carefully add the cream.
- Stir well and cook for 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth and liquid.
- Cut the butter into little pieces.
- Add it to the caramel mixture along with the vanilla and salt.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour the mixture over the partially cooled crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- When it is bubbly but still jiggly, remove from the oven and cool in pan on wire rack for 2 hours.
- Flip the entire pan over onto a large cutting board to remove the cookies from the pan.
- Turn cookies right side up.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 24 bars.
- Cut each bar in half on the diagonal.