Shortbread topped with pecan studded toffee. Mmm… delicious! You can omit the cornflour and swap it for more plain flour if you wish, but the cornflour gives the shortbread a lighter texture.
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon nearly boiling water
- 8 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- 3 ounces cornflour
- 6 1⁄2 ounces plain flour
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces soft light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 6 ounces pecans, nuts-roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to gas 4/180/350 degrees. Grease and line a 7x11" pan with silicone paper.
- Put the coffee into a bowl and pour the hot water over. Leave to infuse for 4 minutes, then strain.
- Cream the butter, peanut butter, sugar and coffee together until light. Sift the cornflour and flour together and mix it in to wet mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Press the dough into the pan and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes.
- For the topping, put the butter, sugar and syrup into a pan and heat until melted. Bring to a boil, allow to simmer for 5 minutes, and then add the nuts.
Made this for the DS to take to his adult music recreation group where they very much enjoyed it. I baked at 170C fan forced oven and the base was a lovely golden colour after 18 minutes. I used a mix of pecans (4oz) and macadamias (2oz). Thank you Noo, made for Please Review My Recipe.
I made these last night, and ooooh! They are so good. I love toffee, and usually its on top of chocolate, so this was a pleasant surprise for me. I let DS eat 2 pieces, I ate one, and took the rest to work the next morning. By 10 am, there were none left....everyone was asking me if I had more at home that I could bring in the next day! Thanks you so much for sharing a delicious recipe!
Oh my gosh, these are so decadent! And easy! Like WC, I took them with me and didn't have a single one left to take a picture of! So, I will be forced to make them again. How tragic! ;o) I used whole pecans, and wow, did that ever up the visual appeal to irresistable! The shortbread was delicious, too. Thank you, Noo - this is SO GOOD! Made for PRMR Tag.