Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was featured in our October/November 2009 newsletter. It was adapted from the recipe in Healthy Holidays by Marilu Henner.
- 8 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup soy margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄3 cup maple sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes thoroughly with a vegetable brush.
- Pierce the potatoes on all sides with a fork.
- Place the potatoes on the oven rack.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- When cool enough to handle, peel off the skins.
- Cut potatoes into half-inch slices.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the margarine, maple sugar, 1/4 cup water, and salt for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Add the potatoes and pecans and stir gently until the potatoes are coated with the sauce.