Recipe by PaulaG
Baked cremini or baby bella mushrooms stuffed with a butter pecan and garlic stuffing, oh yum. The recipe calls for fresh oregano and not having any found that fresh sage works quite well. This recipe was posted on another recipe site. They can be assembled up to 24 hours ahead, chilled and then brought to room temperature before baking.
- 24 cremini mushrooms or 24 baby portabella mushrooms, stems approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inch wide
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and with 1 tablespoons of the butter, lightly butter a 13 x 9 inch shallow baking dish.
- Trim the ends from mushrooms stems and carefully separate the caps and steps, reserving both.
- Place the caps, stemmed sides up in the prepared dish.
- Melt remaining butter in a heavy skillet over moderate heat, finely shop the stems and add to melted butter along with the minced garlic and oregano or sage; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the pecans, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute; slowly add in 1/3 cup cream and bring to a gentle simmer, remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the inside of the mushrooms caps with remaining salt and pepper, divide the filling among caps, drizzle with remaining 2/3 cup cream and bake until filling is browned and mushrooms caps are tender, about 30 minutes.
- If desired, stuff mushrooms and reserve the 2/3 cup cream, cover dish and place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes, drizzle with cream and bake as directed above.
- Serve warm drizzled with pan juices.