Recipe by dojemi
This is a pie recipe but she made it in bars. Dipping one end it chocolate makes a beautiful presentation. The recipes make a lot so servings is a guesstimate and depends on on the size you cut the bars into.
Top Review by 1000395
This is one of my all-time favorite desserts. Perfect around the holidays for gift giving. Bars hold up very well in packaging. They are soooooooooooooo delicious. This recipe makes a huge batch. I don't usually use all the crust batter, and i make sure it is even all over. Otherwise, it tends to be really heavy on the crust around the edges. FAbulous!!!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 cup good honey
- 3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 lbs pecans, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the crust, beat the butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, until light, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the batter with the mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Press the dough evenly into an ungreased 18 by 12 by 1-inch baking sheet, making an edge around the outside. It will be very sticky; sprinkle the dough and your hands lightly with flour.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is set but not browned.
- Allow to cool.
- For the topping, combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, and zests in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until the butter is melted, using a wooden spoon to stir.
- Raise the heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the heavy cream and pecans.
- Pour over the crust, trying not to get the filling between the crust and the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Cut into bars.
- Dip one end in chocolate, if desired.
- Flatten cupcake papers and top each with a bar.