Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
Convenient, decadent and delicious treat for pecan lovers
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup light margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup egg white
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray 9x9” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make Base: Cream together margarine & brown sugar. Stir together sifted flour & baking powder. Add flour mixture & pecans to creamed mixture. Blend well.
- Pat dough firmly & evenly into greased baking dish.
- Bake 7 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Make Topping: Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, flour & vanilla. Mix thoroughly, then pour over baked base.
- Sprinkle with coarsely chopped pecans.
- Return to oven. Bake 15 minutes until barely golden in color. Do not overbake!
- Cut into squares. Let cool.
- Remove from pan and place in airtight container. Tip: Keep them from sticking by placing a sheet of waxed paper between layers in the container!